Donate securely via credit card.
Pledge By Phone
A Little Background Info...
With a return to Winnipeg’s airwaves in 1998, UMFM has been providing a diverse range of music, talk and specialty programming to Winnipeg. As with any organization, we have changed and evolved over the years but at its core, UMFM maintains a mandate to provide our listeners with a forum for music and voices that otherwise go unheard.
Since 1998, our operating budget has consisted mostly of student fees and ad revenue. While times have changed, funding from the student fees has stayed the same, and the cost of running the radio station has steadily continued to rise. We are constantly exploring alternative revenue streams that will allow us to maintain our daily operation costs, while continuing to grow for the future.
Enter Pledge-O-Rama – UMFM’s annual funding drive! Once again, we are excited to be staging this event for our seventh consecutive year, and we’re hopeful that it will continue to bring us all a little closer to this great community that we all know and love so much. Pledge-O-Rama 2018 runs from October 12th, starting at 6:30 PM (starting with Thank God It’s Free Range) and ends on October 19th at 8 PM, culminating with Thank God It’s Free Range, where it began a week earlier!
Why We Doing This
Now in year 7 we are asking you, our loyal listening audience, for financial support — we know that you love UMFM’s programming and personalities and that you understand how valuable independent campus and community radio is in this day and age!
In case you needed so additional convincing, here’s a few more key reasons why:
This year, 100% of funds raised during Pledge-O-Rama will go towards 2 new projects that we’ve identified as priorities: digitizing our music library and installing new UMFM listening hot-spots on the U of M Campus!
- We would like to start exploring the possibility of a converting our music library to digital. We see more digital only music submissions every day and are slowly running out of space on our shelves. Trust that we’ll never get rid of the cds, vinyl and cassettes, but we need to start planning for the future and digital is the way to go.
- We would also like to explore a cost effective way of installing UMFM listening stations across the U of M campus — we’ve long had speakers outside of the station and in tunnel en-route to science, but it’s time to bring UMFM to hallways and lounges campus wide!
We are 100% confident that meeting, and hopefully surpassing, our Pledge goal in 2018 would mean that we could tackle these 2 projects head on!
- Our listeners are our future. With the cost of running a radio station consistently on the rise, we rely on loyal listeners like you for support in helping us continue to bring you the best quality programming for years to come.
- Last year, 100% of funds raised during Pledge-O-Rama went towards the purchase of 4 brand new computers that are vital to our operations, including our digital logger which records all of our programming. They also allowed us to build this beautiful new website that launched on October 1st! The new site has some amazing features that allow us to share our content in new and exciting ways, enhancing your UMFM experience and making it easier to enjoy the station than ever before.
- Past Pledge-O-Rama success has allowed us to replace our broadcast transmitter, purchase field recording and remote broadcasting equipment, maintain all of our major broadcast equipment, maintain and upgrade our live recording studio. It also go towards everyday incidentals such as mics, cables, headphones, turntable maintenance and needles. Finally, listener support during Pledge-O-Rama also helps pay fixed costs like radio tower rent, network maintenance and utilities.
- The main point here is that fundraising is NOT a choice; it’s a NECESSITY. We take this seriously and your generous donations go a long way towards improving service that UMFM provides to our campus and the community we live in!
What We Do
We broadcast a wide array of music, from indie rock to jazz, funk to folk, loud to hip-hop and everything in between, not to mention our sports coverage and great spoken word programming. UMFM distributes a wide assortment of sounds and information to its listeners and offers a ‘hit-free’ alternative to regular radio with a focus on local and national artists and affairs.
Along with our on-air programming, UMFM has always done its best to support the arts in our community. From sponsoring the city’s amazing music and arts festivals, to helping local bands with promotion, UMFM has been a strong presence in Winnipeg’s music and arts scene since its inception.
UMFM boasts a state-of-the-art recording and production facility that has recorded some amazing sessions. Our live band room has given UMFM the ability to support local talent and give them a venue to record their first demo, live session on UMFM, or perform live to air.
UMFM is a strong supporter of student groups across campus, and community organizations across the city. We’ve never hesitated in airing their Public Service Announcements and have always given interested student groups time slots on our airwaves and the resources to program and run their own shows.
In return for providing these services, we are reaching out now to our loyal listeners, our friends and our family. Maybe some of you have won tickets or prizes on one of our shows. Maybe you’ve phoned in and had your request played or have been interviewed and expressed your opinion on air. Or maybe you’ve attended some of the events that we’ve sponsored or you’ve been turned onto some amazing new music by one of our many shows! Whatever the case, now is the time to show us your support by calling in and pledging UMFM, a station that’s as big a part of your life as it is ours!
How To Pledge
Plainly stated, during Pledge-O-Rama 2018, our goal is to raise is $36, 000. Starting at 6:30PM on October 12th and running through to 8PM on October 19th, our hardworking show hosts and volunteers will be hitting the airwaves and taking your calls in in an effort to reach our goal. $36, 000 isn’t an arbitrary number to us, it represents roughly 15% of our operating budget goes a long way in assisting with the day to day maintenance and operation of UMFM. After Pledge-O-Rama kicks off, we’ll be answering those phones daily from 6AM until 3AM. However, if you miss during our prime pledge hours, you can just leave us a message at 204−474−6610 or drop us a line at email@example.com and one of our Smooth Phone Operators will get back to you ASAP! Or if you want to come down to the station during Pledge-O-Rama to pledge your support in person, we’d love to see you.
Obviously no donation is too small or too large, we’re grateful for all of your support. Our aim is to make pledging to UMFM as pain free a process as possible, so we’re offering you a number of different payment options and payment plans to pay your pledge. Your Pledges can be made over the phone (204−474−6610), in person (Room 310, University Centre) or online. You can pay in one lump sum, or you can choose to pay monthly, quarterly, semi-annually or in whatever other time configuration that works for you, it’s just that easy. Pledges may be paid by in person at UMFM Headquarters, Room 310 University Centre, Monday through Friday from 10AM until 5:30PM. We’re happy to accept the following forms of payment:
- Cheque or Money Order **(Made Payable To “UMSU Endowment Fund” if requesting a tax receipt; write “For Donation to UMFM in Memo Field”)**
- Visa or MasterCard
- Pre-Authorized Credit Card Payments based on your preferred schedule
Please note that we can only accept in person Credit Card or Debit payments until 3:30 Monday thru Friday. If you want to ensure that we can accommodate you, you can always phone ahead at 204−474−7027!
Now obviously, the biggest incentive of all that any pledgee can receive is knowing that your are supporting the quality, community-supported programming that UMFM provides on a daily basis. However, we’d like to thank all of our listeners who pledge, and will be offering some great incentives, including your choice of of some limited edition UMFM merchandise or a tax deductible receipt. Learn more on our incentives page.
Special Bonus Draws!
$75 - everyone who donates at this level or above gets an entry into a draw for a daily Half Pints prize pack and also into the grand prize draw for a private brewery tour & tasting for you and up to 20 friends after which you’ll leave with a gift certificate good for a keg of your choice!
$101.50 – everyone who donates at this level or above will be entered into a draw to win 1 of 4 Big Fun Festival Passes!
$150 - everyone who donates at this level or above gets one entry into our now famous golden ticket contest — participating venues this year include The Park Theatre, The West End Cultural Centre, The Pyramid Cabaret, The Good Will Social Club, The Handsome Daughter, Jazz Winnipeg, and The Winnipeg Folk Festival!
$250 - everyone who donates at this level or above gets three entries into our now famous golden ticket contest — participating venues this year include The Park Theatre, The West End Cultural Centre, The Pyramid Cabaret, The Good Will Social Club, The Handsome Daughter, Jazz Winnipeg, and The Winnipeg Folk Festival!