July 29, 2019: Coffee Women of India
In the hilly Kordagu (AKA Coorg) region of Karnataka state, coffee has been grown for generations. Like other small-scale agriculture in the era of globalization, financial rewards are small and women carry an increasing amount of the work. Speakers (all in in Madikeri, Kodagu district, Karnataka state):
1. Saleela Patkar: An engineer and researcher on women in agriculture, whose grandmother farmed and who now grows organic coffee
2. Shantamma: Longtime coffee farm labourer.
3. Kaveramma: Worked coffee plantations since childhood; grows coffee and cardamom.
4. 74 year old Leelavathi manages a 40 acre farm. She took over when her husband went into politics.
5. Mrinalini, a trained engineer, helps her mother Leelavathi on their farm.