Join The Wheels Of Courage!
Wheels of Courage is an exciting new mentorship program at the WRENCH for young people (ages 14 – 29) focused on skill-building and creating positive change through Community Projects.
If you love bikes and want to use them as a tool for personal growth and social change – Wheels of Courage is for you!
Wheels of Courage is a mentorship program for young people (ages 14 – 29) focused on skill-building and creating positive change through Community Projects. There are two program streams listed below that anyone can apply for.
Wheels of Courage Mentorship Program
- One-on-one mentorship and personalized skill building plans
To best support a diversity of youth WoC provides Mentors with experience supporting:
- Indigenous participants (I’m this mentor!)
- Newcomer participants
- Women, Girls, Trans, Non-binary and Femme participants
- Opportunity to create meaningful change through Community Projects
- Team Volunteer Activities that build relevant skills at WoC Work Parties
- Personalized Volunteer Activities that build skills at the WRENCH or at a partnering non-profit organization, school or community bike shop
- Specialized instruction from external professionals/experts (e.g. first aid certification, instruction from welder, workshops on non-violent crisis intervention, mentorship in community art facilitation, lessons on ecology or gardening, etc.)
- Commitment to volunteering 120 hours (before March 31st 2020)
Application deadline is June 4th, 2019. Please note: there will be a limited number of applicants accepted into the Mentorship Program.
Wheels of Courage Volunteer Program
Want something a bit more casual? We know there are many young folks who would benefit greatly from becoming involved at the WRENCH but are unable to commit to the Mentorship Program. For them, we recommend becoming a Wheels of Courage Volunteer!
- Everyone ages 29 and under is welcome to join this program.
- Become a part of the WRENCH’s diverse bike-loving community
- Learn practical and empowering skills by volunteering at various WRENCH programming and special events
- Access all the tools and parts you need to fix your bike during Volunteer Shop (Saturdays 2 – 4:30pm)
- Receive support from the WoC Mentors and WRENCH staff during regular programming hours
- Track achievements by logging hours and skills learned using a simple online form
The Volunteer Program is ongoing until March 31st, 2020, there is no application deadline.
More information, as well as online application forms for both programs can be found at www.thewrench.ca/woc