Get Ready To Fringe!
The 36th annual Winnipeg Fringe Theatre Festival returns for another year of weird and wonderful indie theatre, taking over the city with more than 140 shows at 27 venues from July 19 to 30. The festival showcases old favourites and new works ranging from heartfelt dramas to hilarious comedies and a few shows that are truly unclassifiable. Old Market Square will become a hotspot of beer gardens, diverse food options, local artisans, free entertainment and Kids Fringe, acting as a hub for Fringers.
Advance tickets and passes are now on sale and are available at winnipegfringe.com or in person at 174 Market Avenue. Tickets are $12 and we offer $6 advance tickets for children (12 and under) at the Kids Venue. Programs are available for only $10 at the Royal Manitoba Theatre Centre, McNally Robinson Booksellers and select Manitoba Liquor Marts. A Fringe program provides a full listing of shows, venues and other essential information to help navigate the festival.
As always, UMFM’s intrepid theater reporter Justin Olynyk, host of Play It Again (Wednesday nights at 8PM), and UMFM’s crack team of reviewers will be in the middle of the action checking out some of the great plays and telling you all about them — you can get their thoughts daily here!
It’s a Fringe-For-All
- PAY-WHAT-YOU-CAN EXPERIENCES: To make Fringe an experience that everyone can enjoy regardless of their budget, two new Pay-What-You-Can experiences will be offered: an interactive mystery and an open mic show. PWYC door tickets will also be available for every Kids Venue performance to make sure that all little Fringers and their families can have access to the arts.
- ASL-INTERPRETED PERFORMANCES: With an ASL-interpreted performance every day, Fringe hopes to make the festival more accessible to those who are hard of hearing or Deaf. The shows chosen for ASL interpretation showcase the breadth of Fringe’s programming with dramas, comedies and family-friendly performances.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THIS YEAR’S FESTIVAL
- HALF THE PRICE, TWICE THE FUN: Participating companies are offering over 50 performances to be sold at 2 for $12, highlighted in our program. Grab a pal, see a show and support these generous companies!
- THE SOUND OF FRINGE: Local bands in our noon-hour concert series and nightly featured acts (8pm and 10pm) promise to entertain the crowd at Old Market Square. Check out a variety of acts such as Dirty Catfish Brass Band, DJ Hunnicutt, Doctor Rocktopus, Dr. Hotbottom, Fu Fu Chi Chi Choir, JD Edwards, Mama Cutsworth, Romi Mayes, The Noble Thiefs, Those Guys and more!
- GRAB A BITE: Refuel with local offerings like Blue Haze Barbeque, Farm Dogs, India Palace Restaurant, KYU Grill, Lemon Heaven, Mini O’s Mini Donuts, Miss Christine’s Kitchen, Nucci’s Gelati, The Churro Stop and The Meltdown.
- PATRON REVIEWs: Fringe is by the people and for the people, so share your reviews for other Fringers to enjoy. Head over to winnipegfringereviews.com to read reviews or write your own.
- VOLUNTEER: Be part of the summer’s hottest festival by volunteering! Roles include selling tickets and ushering for shows, helping to keep drinks flowing at our beverage pavilions, facilitating fun with our young Fringers at Kids Fringe, answering patron questions and keeping our indoor and outdoor spaces tidy. Applications are being accepted until July 15. For more information and how to apply, visit winnipegfringe.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org