Fringe Is Back: In Person And In Colour
The 34th annual Winnipeg Fringe Theatre Festival returns to the stage from July 13 to 24. This year’s festival welcomes (and welcomes back) 114 performing companies from Canada and beyond, performing in 23 venues across the city. Head to the centre of the action at Old Market Square in the city’s historic Exchange District for free entertainment on stage and off, diverse food options and beer gardens.
Advance tickets and passes are now on sale and are available at winnipegfringe.com or in person at 174 Market Avenue. Tickets are $12 and $6 for children (12 and under) at the Kids Venue. Programs are available for only $5 at the Royal Manitoba Theatre Centre, McNally Robinson Booksellers and select Manitoba Liquor Marts. A Fringe program provides a full listing of shows, venues and other essential information to help navigate the festival.
As always, UMFM’s intrepid theater reporter Justin Olynyk, host of Play It Again (Wednesday nights at 8PM), and UMFM’s crack team of reviewers will be in the middle of the action checking out some of the great plays and telling you all about them — you can get their thoughts daily here!
NEW THIS YEAR
- 100% IN ADVANCE TICKETS: 100% of tickets will be available for purchase on June 21, 2022. Plan your whole festival experience from the comfort of your home, order your tickets online or pick them up at the Royal Manitoba Centre box office.
- UNDER 25 DOOR DISCOUNT: Across all performances, door tickets for those under 25 will only be $10. We’re aiming to make Fringe more accessible to the next generation. Other door discounts, at the discretion of the performing company, include discounts for healthcare workers, seniors, those who identify as chronically ill and people wearing puffer vests.
- NEW KIDS FRINGE LOCATION: Kids Fringe has all the same great entertainment, now located in Stephen Juba Park (Bannatyne Avenue and Waterfront Drive). This free, family-friendly space runs Monday to Friday 11am – 3pm and Saturday and Sunday 12pm-6pm. It features crafts, games and special guests all in a comfortable, park setting with more room to play than ever before.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THIS YEAR’S FESTIVAL
- HALF THE PRICE, TWICE THE FUN: Participating performing companies have offered over 50 performances to be sold at 2 for $12, highlighted in our program. Grab a pal, see a show and support these generous companies!
- THE SOUND OF FRINGE: Local bands in our noon-hour concert series and nightly featured acts play at 8pm and 10pm to entertain the crowd at Old Market Square. Check out Dr. Rocktopus, Main St. Exiles, Mama Cutsworth, Papa Mambo, Romi Mayes, Slow Leaves, Those Guys, The Fu Fu Chi Chi Choir at the Bell MTS Outdoor Stage.
- GRAB A BITE: Refuel with local offerings like Better Than Baba’s, Fired Up-Mobile Wood Fired Pizza, Habanero Sombrero, India Palace Restaurant, KYU Grill, Lemon Heaven, Little Bones Wings, Mini O’s Mini Donuts, Meltdown, Nucci’s Gelato and Sidewalk Sizzler. Quench your thirst at the Sleeman Breweries Beer Tent and Liquor Mart Patio.
- PATRON REVIEWS: Fringe is by the people and for the people, so share your reviews for other Fringers to enjoy. Head over to www.winnipegfringereviews.com to read reviews or write your own.
- VOLUNTEER: Be part of the summer’s hottest festival by volunteering! Roles include selling tickets and ushering for shows, helping to keep drinks flowing at our beverage pavilions, facilitating fun with our young Fringers at Kids Fringe, answering patron questions and keeping our indoor and outdoor spaces tidy. Applications are being accepted until July 8. For more information and how to apply, visit winnipegfringe.com or email [email protected]winnipegfringe.com