Black Lives Matter
The recent tragic events that have taken place around the world such as the murders of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Regis Korchinski-Paquet and so many others, as well as the ongoing violence against Black and Indigenous People in our own community has given us pause.
We have taken this past week to initiate a process of ongoing reflection of our core principles, values, and are developing a plan for how UMFM can increase diversity and inclusivity within our organization, now and moving forward. UMFM is committed to taking the necessary steps to being an anti-racist organization and we are in full support of the Black Lives Matter movement. Black. Lives. Matter.
We are committed to providing a safer, more accessible space for the creative talents and voices of People of Colour on UMFM’s airwaves.
We encourage our listeners and supporters to check out some of the following organizations who are doing really important work locally, nationally and in the US and could use your financial support. While we have contributed to some of them, we realize that we are only scratching the surface here and certainly will be continuing do more research and encourage you to do so as well.
- #justice4BlackLivesWinnipeg — e‑transfer to justice4[email protected]gmail.com
- Black Space Winnipeg
- Bear Clan Patrol
- Mama Bear Clan & North Point Douglas Aboriginal Women’s Group
- QPOC — e‑transfer to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Aboriginal Youth Organization
Canadian Organizations Outside Of Winnipeg
- Black Lives Matter Toronto
- Black Lives Matter Vancouver
- Justice For Regis
- Canadian Race Relations Foundation
- Canadian Anti-Hate Network
- Black Mental Health Matters Fund
- Black Youth Helpline